The next step for budding lightweight hopeful Mercito ‘No Mercy’ Gesta takes place tomorrow night inside of the Texas Station Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The undefeated Gesta (25-0-1, 13 KO’s) faces off with the very brash Ty Barnett (20-2-1, 13 KO’s), hailing from Washington, D.C., in a ten-round scrap that could open up bigger doors for the Mandaue City, Philippines fighter.
There had been some pre-fight trash talk coming from Barnett’s side, with the 29-year old telling me moments before the weigh-in that he was far from impressed by Gesta, but the weigh-in between the two men showed no signs of tension whatsoever. Gesta came on to the scales weighing 137 pounds while Barnett was slightly lighter at 135.5 pounds.
While Gesta and his team have been clamoring for a title fight for the past year, this fight seems to be a realistic gauge of where the 24-year old is in his career, as a few more dominating performances against fighters on the level of Barnett will surely have him knocking on the door for such desired opportunities.
Also on the card, one of the area’s finest local talents will display his skills when undefeated junior featherweight prospect Jesse Magdaleno (10-0, 7 KO’s) faces off with Brazil’s Aldimar Silva Santos (17-2, 9 KO’s).
Another notable in action will be unbeaten lightweight hopeful Mickey Bey Jr. (18-0-1, 9 KO’s), who meets journeyman Robert Frankel (30-12-1, 6 KO’s). Bey is trained by Floyd Mayweather Sr. and has been itching for a title shot himself.
- Mercito Gesta Gets A Crack At A World Title
- MMA Cage Work With Coach Manny Rodriguez & Alliance MMA at Throwdown Gym in Las Vegas *VIDEO*
- Brandon Vera Muay Thai Training and Pro Fighters From Alliance MMA at TAPOUT Gym in Las Vegas *VIDEO*
- Ross Pearson: Cauliflowers, Drills, Bag Work and Tools. Training With Alliance MMA at TAPOUT Gym
- Dana White: Alexander Gustafsson is Kicking So Much Ass, Guys Are Afraid To Spar With Him *VIDEO*