Posted by Jacoby Harms
UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz will finally have his surgery to repair a torn ACL this coming week. The injury, which knocked Cruz out of a planned bout at UFC 148 with Urijah Faber, will take several months to heal and likely have him out until 2013. Cruz, however, plans on returning sooner than that.
“I’m actually going in for surgery this Wednesday,” said Cruz Friday night while appearing on Fuel TV’s post-fight show for the Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale. “The doctors are giving me a timetable. I don’t like to speak the timetable cause I’m hoping it’s gonna be a lot sooner. They’re saying it’s going to be awhile, but I’m saying it’s not.”
“The Dominator” has been out of action since late in 2011 when he defeated his title against Demetrious Johnson. Cruz won the match and went on to compete alongside Faber as a coach on the recently-wrapped season of TUF.
As for the upcoming Faber-Renan Barao bout that will determine an interim champion, Cruz said, “Indirectly, I’ve gotta go…go Faber,” the champ half-heartedly rooted, not necessarily showing genuine favoritism for his rival but also alluding to the fact he wants to settle the score between the two when he returns rather than see “The California Kid” come up short against Barao.
- Brandon Vera, Dominick Cruz & Phil Davis Deliver Lifetime Membership Award
- VIDEO: Dominick Cruz Training Highlights
- UFC Champion Dominick Cruz Speaks Out About Brutal 2nd ACL Injury
- Spoiler alert! Dominick Cruz and Alexander Gustafsson Slap Leather for the Cameras *VIDEO*
- UFC Champ Dominick Cruz Sets The Pace *VIDEO*