UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz knows what UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre went through for several months. GSP, who will return from a torn ACL this Saturday night at UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit, spent over a year on the sidelines due to knee issues.
Cruz, who went down with the same injury earlier this year, is hoping for an early 2013 return. Nothing has been set, but he informed UFC.com recently just how bad the injury is.
“This is the worst thing I’ve ever been through in my entire life. It’s horrible,” Cruz said. “The biggest problem with the ACL tear is the mental aspect. That’s the hardest part of the whole situation: having faith in that knee.”
Cruz and St-Pierre now share championship gold and rehabilitated knees in common, and “The Dominator” will be an interested viewer come Saturday in seeing what kind of GSP enters the Octagon.
“I do think that GSP has proven to be one of the most mentally strong people there is,” Cruz said, “so if anybody can do it, it’s him. I wish him the best and I cross my fingers for him because we share the same injury and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.”
- Brandon Vera, Dominick Cruz & Phil Davis Deliver Lifetime Membership Award
- VIDEO: Dominick Cruz Training Highlights
- UFC Champion Dominick Cruz Speaks Out About Brutal 2nd ACL Injury
- Spoiler alert! Dominick Cruz and Alexander Gustafsson Slap Leather for the Cameras *VIDEO*
- UFC Champ Dominick Cruz Sets The Pace *VIDEO*