Article By Dana Becker
Brandon Vera, who will take on former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua on UFC on Fox 4, threw out the first pitch before Thursday night’s San Diego-Houston Major League Baseball game. Vera currently trains out of San Diego with Team Lloyd Irvin/Alliance MMA.
Vera will meet Rua on August 4 from Los Angeles. The contest will be the main event.
“(Throwing out the first pitch) was more nerve-wrecking than walking out to the cage to get punched in the face,” Vera said. “I had never thrown a baseball before in front of anybody before (Wednesday) with my coach.”
Vera was asked how he is preparing for Rua, in which he said, “training two-to-three times a day, doing ice baths, massages, hot tub, training, eating right. It sounds like a life of fun, but the training part is not fun; it’s bad.”
As for the pitch, it crossed home plate but was a little high from “The Truth.” Vera is 12-5 in his MMA career, but has not fought since last year when he defeated Eliot Marshall.
“I threw it hard,” Vera said. “It went over the plate with a lot of zip, and I was happy.”
- Brandon Vera, Dominick Cruz & Phil Davis Deliver Lifetime Membership Award
- Phil Davis and Brandon Vera cruise the desert in Affliction’s Trophy Truck
- Eric Del Fierro – The Man Behind Some of The UFC’s Top Fighters
- San Diego A Hot Spot For Top MMA Action *VIDEO*
- Behind The Scenes Of UFC on FOX 4 With Alliance MMA *VIDEO*